How to stay motivated?

After a while without publishing anything I have been thinking about "How to stay motivated?". Not only motivated to write on this blog, but also motivated to paint a whole army without come down and forsake it.

So, I was to prove myself that with the correct motivation I can finish a complete army. For this purpose I decided to paint a complete army for Blücher, it is a Napoleonic rulebook wrote by Sam Mustafa (https://sammustafa.com/blucher/). In Blücher you command a whole napoleonic army with their different Corps, Divisions a Brigades. To me the advantage of Blücher is their base system, because I can use all my already assembly miniatures for Impetus Napoleonic (House rules).

Then, my objective is paint a whole 300 points Peninsular British army for Blücher in scale 1/72, because I already have all the necessary miniatures. Therefore I need to paint the following army:


British Peninsular Army

I Corps
2 Foot Guards Brigades
2 Foot Regiments Brigades
1 Heavy Artillery Battery

II Corps
5 Foot Regiments Brigades
1 Foot Artillery Battery

III Corps
5 Foot Regiments Brigades
1 Foot Artillery Battery

IV Corps
2 Light Dragoons Cavalry Brigades
2 Heavy Dragoons Brigades
1 Horse Artillery Battery

All these it's great but... How to stay motivated during all the time? I am thinking that everytime that I see a movie or read a book I want to buy or paint these period or miniatures. So I begin this project with this in mind. For this project I made a little research about movies and books based on napoleonic wars and I found the followings:

Movies

- Waterloo, a great film about this battle and you can watch it on Youtube



- War and Peace (1956)
- Sharpe (TV Series). I have the complete series bought in amazon some time ago.
- Napoleon
- Master & Commander
- Austerlitz
- The duelist

For me the movies are great but I prefer the books, the reason is simple, if I watch a movie I can't paint... I can't do two things at a time so... I prefer read books every nights before go to bed. In this case I have various books.

- Sharpe's Saga (Bernard Cornwell)
- Waterloo (Bernard Cornwell), I bought this book in Stirling and I love it!



- Aubrey-Maturin Books, these novels are based on the British Royal Navy but I thing that are great to stay motivated in the Napoleonic Wars.

Of course, I want to watch somes documentary about different battles and read somes Osprey books about Napoleonic wars and the men that fought these big and bloody battles. If you know some imprescindible books or movies that I must (watch or read) tell me in the comments below!

Comentarios

  1. One way I keep myself on track is, having some good things to listen to while painting. This can be anything from music that I enjoy, to an audio book I want to read.

    A second motivator for me is instructional videos on line. For example, "Tabletop Minions" has a youtube channel with a lot of useful videos that have helped me improve my painting. TM is kind of fantasy oriented, but at the level of paint on a figure, the info is valuable.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks! I hadn't thought about those things, I need to search napoleonic music! I'll take a look at "Tabletop Minions" I didn't know it.

      Eliminar
    2. I enjoy painting but there are aspects of it that can become a chore. I have been painting some large batches for ancients and one technique that has sped up my painting and kept me motivated was sticking figures on cardboard strips and army painter sprays.

      So for Napoleonic British I would use their red which would both undercoat and basecoat in one go so I can get straight on painting details. With the figure being stuck in a line I am saving a bit of time with the handling, picking up 3 or 4 strips of figures instead of 32 individuals.

      I was getting a bit sick painting lots of figures at once so I sometimes paint a couple of individual characters, I think painting a couple of figures and seeing "quicker" progress can sometimes keep up interest.

      Good luck with your project! I'll keep and eye out for updates!

      Eliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares